  • 1. Data: 2004-01-27 14:14:28
    Temat: Egg - klopotow ciag dalszy
    Od: Michał 'Amra' Macierzyński <m...@p...pl>

    LONDON (Reuters) - Insurer Prudential has raised the tempo of the auction
    for its stake in Britain's largest Internet bank Egg, saying it has received
    further bid interest.

    "Prudential has now begun a process that will give a number of potential
    purchasers an opportunity to make a proposal. This may or may not lead to a
    transaction," it said in a statement on Monday.

    Analysts and bankers have touted Royal Bank of Scotland RBS.L , HSBC HSBA.L
    , U.S. credit card giant MBNA and Lloyds TSB LLOY.L as possible bidders.

    All of the companies have declined to comment.

    Earlier this month, Prudential PRU.L said it was in talks to sell its 79
    percent holding in Egg, triggering a 58 percent surge in the loss-making
    bank's shares.

    A spokesman for Prudential said a potential bidder had initially come
    forward about buying Egg after Prudential said in October it was looking for
    a strategic partner for the bank's faltering French operations.

    "As those preliminary discussions continued, other parties came in. There
    are a number of parties we are now going to be talking to," said the
    spokesman, declining to comment on how many or which companies had expressed
    an interest in Egg.

    A spokeswoman for Egg EGG.L declined to comment.

    Analysts and dealers have said a potential bidder could pay in the region of
    180 to 200 pence a share for Egg, valuing the company at between 1.5 billion
    and 1.6 billion pounds and giving Prudential a near 1.3 billion pound cash
    injection.

    A deal announcement is not expected for some weeks.

    Shares in Egg were down 1.77 percent at 185-1/4 pence in morning trade,
    valuing the group at around 1.5 billion pounds. The shares hit a peak of
    197-2/3p last week but have retraced some of those gains over the past three
    days.

    Prudential, Britain's second-largest insurer, was trading down 1.61 percent
    at 490-1/4p in a flat general market.

    EGG UNDER THE HAMMER

    Of the British banks, BNP Paribas analyst Hugh Pye said Egg would fit
    particularly well with Royal Bank of Scotland's operations.

    "I don't think it would be of interest to Barclays, HBOS and HSBC; it
    doesn't fit into their retail strategy.

    "I think the concept fits more comfortably with Royal Bank. It has tended to
    be much keener on a multi-brand strategy, and bringing in another credit
    card business would not be a problem."

    Egg, which has over three million UK customers and five percent of the UK
    credit card market, remains in the red because of its struggling French
    business.

    Profits at Egg's main British operation more than doubled to 20 million
    pounds in the three-months to end-September, while the French business lost
    20.8 million pounds in the same period.

    --
    Michal 'Amra' Macierzynski
    ! Ankieta dla klientow bankow wirtualnych !

  • 2. Data: 2004-01-27 20:16:18
    Temat: Re: Egg - klopotow ciag dalszy
    Od: devnull <d...@n...net>

    >Profits at Egg's main British operation more than doubled to 20 million
    >pounds in the three-months to end-September, while the French business lost
    >20.8 million pounds in the same period.

    Zatem brytyjski egg przynosi zyski tylko fracuski oddzial ich ciagnie w dol.

    dn

  • 3. Data: 2004-01-29 13:25:23
    Od: "Adam Gentler" <a...@n...bankier.pl>

    English is very nice and friendly language. In my opinion, you should send
    that post to eg. gov.topic.finance.banks or translate it into polish ;)

    Best regards,
    Adam Gentler

  • 4. Data: 2004-01-29 13:53:44
    Od: SebCz <a...@a...pl>

    Dnia Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:25:23 +0100, Adam Gentler <a...@n...bankier.pl>
    napisał:

    > English is very nice and friendly language. In my opinion, you should
    > send
    > that post to eg. gov.topic.finance.banks or translate it into polish ;)
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Adam Gentler

    In my humble opinion, You should really consider cutting quotations :)

    --
    ______
    Pozdrowienia