  • 1. Data: 2008-01-24 18:45:05
    Temat: Re: 2guys1cup
    Od: n...@p...org

    to blind the
    reprobate, and sufficient clearness to condemn them and make them
    inexcusable. Saint Augustine, Montaigne, Sebond.

    The genealogy of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament is intermingled with so
    many others that are useless that it cannot be distinguished. If Moses had
    kept only the record of the ancestors of Christ, that might have been too
    plain. If he had not noted that of Jesus Christ, it might not have been
    sufficiently plain. But, after all, whoever looks closely sees that of Jesus
    Christ expressly traced through Tamar, Ruth, etc.

    Those who ordained these sacrifices knew their uselessness; those who have
    declared their uselessness, have not ceased to practise them.

    If God had permitted only one religion, it has been too easily known; but
    when we look at it closely, we clearly discern the truth amidst this
    confusion.

    The premiss.--Moses was a clever man. If, then, he ruled himself by his
    reason, he would say nothing clearly which was directly against reason.

    Thus all the very apparent weaknesses are strength. Example; the two
    genealogies in Saint Matthew and Saint Luke. What can be clearer than that
    this was not concerted?

    579. God (and the Apostles), foreseeing that the seeds of pride would make
    heresies spring up, and being unwilling to give them occasion to arise from
    correct expressions, has put in Scripture and the prayers of the Church
    contrary words and sentences to produce their fruit in time.

    So in morals He gives charity, which produces fruits contrary to lust.

    580. Nature has some perfections to show that she is the image of God, and
    some defects to show that she is only His image.

    581. God prefers rather to incline the will than the intellect. Perfect
    clearness would be of use to the intellect and would harm the will. To
    humble pride.

    582. We make an idol of truth itself; for truth apart from charity is not
    God, but His image and idol, which we must neither love nor worship; and
    still less must we love or worship its opposite,