  • 1. Data: 2008-01-24 19:55:10
    Temat: Re: genevieve, still bearing, depicts almost exactly, as the wall sheds after their ash
    Od: Rifaat Haq <h...@d...com.ar>

    not the place for pride; for in granting to a man
    that he is learned, it is easy to convince him that he is wrong to be proud.
    The proper place for pride is in wisdom, for it cannot be granted to a man
    that he has made himself wise, and that he is wrong to be proud; for that is
    right. Now God alone gives wisdom, and that is why Qui gloriatur, in Domino
    glorietur.74

    461. The three lusts have made three sects; and the philosophers have done
    no other thing than follow one of the three lusts.

    462. Search for the true good.--Ordinary men place the good in fortune and
    external goods, or at least in amusement. Philosophers have shown the vanity
    of all this and have placed it where they could.

    463. Philosophers.--They believe that God alone is worthy to be loved and
    admired; and they have desired to be loved and admired of men and do not
    know their own corruption. If they feel full of feelings of love and
    admiration and find therein their chief delight, very well, let them think
    themselves good. But if they find themselves averse to Him, if they have no
    inclination but the desire to establish themselves in the esteem of men, and
    if their whole perfection consists only in making men--but without
    constraint--find their happiness in loving them, I declare that this
    perfection is horrible. What! they have known God and have not desired
    solely that men should love Him, but that men should stop short at them!
    They have wanted to be the object of the voluntary delight of men.

    464. Philosophers.--We are full of things which take us out of ourselves.

    Our instinct makes us feel that we must seek our happiness outside
    ourselves. Our passions impel us outside, even when no objects present
    themselves to excite them. External objects tempt us of themselves, and call
    to us, even when we are not thinking of them. And thus philosophers have
    said in vain: "Retire within yourselves, you